Citizens For A Better Norwood

Monday, October 10, 2011

Candidate blog series: Mary Yeager, Council at Large (R)

My name is Mary Yeager and I’m running for Norwood City Council At Large. We moved to Norwood in 2007 when my husband was offered a teaching position at Immaculate Conception Academy in Norwood. I’m 33 and have been a CPA for 8 years. My work history includes Big 4 to small firms including operating as a sole proprietor specializing in fraud examination. My husband is Travis and I have 5 beautiful children - Joseph, Rita, Cecilia, Theresa and Veronica.

This past June I became a Board Member of the Norwood Service League and am serving on the Finance Committee. The past four weeks I have been attending the Norwood Community Leadership Training Institute that runs through October. We have a great group and I look forward to working with them to help Norwood move forward. In addition I have joined the Norwood Chamber of Commerce and the Norwood Business & Professional Women’s Club.

In the fall of 2009, the Ohio Society of CPAs gave a report to then Governor Ted Strickland regarding recommendations on fixing the projected 8 billion budget deficit. Last summer I volunteered with the Ohio Society of CPAs on the Ohio Budget Reform Speaker's Bureau to learn and tell others about that report and other similar reports. Because of that work, I realized that I needed to become more involved with the City of Norwood. I began attending Council meetings, talking with people, and researching to learn more about Norwood's financial situation.

While Norwood's financial problems are a primary concern, I am also interested in the continued improvement/development of other services provided by the city, especially with having to raise a family here. Please contact me through email, facebook, phone, or letter mail. I would very much like to hear about what's most on the minds of other Norwoodians and ways to help Norwood become even better.

Mary Yeager, Council at Large Candidate
CPA, CFE