Citizens For A Better Norwood

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Candidate blog series: Tom Whittington, Ward 3 (R)

Common Sense, Active Listener, Quality Leadership

I decided to become involved in local politics for one reason: I believe our City has become complacent as a result of being in “survival” mode. I want to see this City start to change its attitude and begin to thrive. I want our property values to grow and pride reinstated to our community. I am tired of seeing empty buildings and our neighbors putting their houses on the market and moving to other communities. Together, we can make a difference.

What I would do to control the City Budget? I would analyze each city department’s spending, identify wasteful expenses and eliminate it. I would hold departmental managers accountable for maintaining realistic budgets.

I believe basic services such as the Police, Fire, Public Works, Senior Services, Health, Buildings, Parks and Recreation are all essential for the development of our community. These groups are here for the taxpaying citizens of Norwood and must co-exist equally within the budget.

I would focus on Growth and New Development bringing in new opportunities to the City. And I would work with our existing companies to assist them in growing their business.

I believe I am qualified for this position due to my experience in the private sector through managing people and controlling budgets. I worked 28 years in the private sector in a Manufacturing Engineering role. Eighteen of those years were with the Allis Chalmers Corporation / ITT Corporation. I specialized in the revitalization of factories through modernization and flow control. I managed both Union and Non-Union workforces and ensured compliance with budgetary constraints. I spent an additional eight years traveling around the country and the world helping other facilities upgrade their technology with over 60 million dollars in capital equipment improvements. I have negotiated contracts with vendors and workforces to maintain a profitable organization.

Upon leaving the private sector I purchased properties in Norwood for both rental and rehabilitation. I presently own 15 rental units and have rehabbed 3 single family dwellings. I take pride in being a hands-on landlord.

I am a long time resident of Norwood. I lived and grew up on Indian Mound Avenue. I attended Sts. Peter and Paul Grade School, Purcell High School, Cincinnati Technical College and the University of Cincinnati. I have been married to my wife Darlene for 36 years. Darlene and I raised our two children, Tim (and Laura Whittington) and Amy (and Josh Meadors) here in Norwood. We are the proud grandparents to Aiden and Olivia, all who live in Norwood.

I am looking forward to serving the citizens of Ward 3 on the Norwood City Council.

My Goals:
Focus on Housing and Street Repairs
Holding Absentee Landlords accountable
Eliminate favoritism and nepotism
Insist on Budgetary Control
Honest Analysis of City Contracts and Maintaining Balanced Budgets


Tom Whittington

Ward 3 Council Candidate