Citizens For A Better Norwood

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Candidate blog series: Joe Geers, Ward 3 (D)

Before getting started, I would like to thank CBN for giving us this opportunity. They offer a service that isn’t available to all communities, and we are fortunate to have them taking the extra step, and helping to inform the voters of Norwood.

My name is Joe Geers, and I am a 4th generation life-long resident of Norwood. I grew up in West Norwood and lived there until my wife and I bought (and fixed up) our current residence on Kenilworth Avenue. I am married to Kate (Long) Geers, and we have three children: Allison(8), Emily(6), and Joseph(3). I am a graduate of Purcell Marian High School, and hold a Bachelors of Science Degree from Northern Kentucky University in Public Administration.

I served on Norwood City Council from 2004 – 2005. I represented the former Ward 3, which was located in West Norwood. During that time, I served as the chairman of the Streets, Infrastructure, and Public Works Committee. Due to redistricting, two council seats were eliminated; mine was one of them. In previous elections, I have been a candidate for Council-At-Large and Auditor. I am currently running for Council Ward 3.

“Why do I want to be on Norwood City Council?”
The answer is quite simple: Because I care about my community. I am not now, nor have I ever, run for city council with hopes of pursuing higher political office outside of Norwood. I want to make sure that the Norwood I grew up in is here for generations to come. I don’t want to see our Senior Center closed. I don’t want to see major staff reductions in our Police/Fire departments. I want to know that citizens can go to our own Health Department for goods and/or services; not one that is run by Hamilton County. I want to know that Public Works is here to remove fallen trees and ensure that our parks are kept up and clean. I want to see that our streets are maintained, and when financially possible, repaired or replaced.

“What will I bring to Norwood City Council?”
I will bring experience. As previously stated, I served on Norwood City Council from 2004 – 2005. Those were tough economic times for the city. I believe that we need someone with this experience to help us through another economic downturn. While on council, I supported legislation that addressed the concentration of group homes in the city, advocated for keeping sexual predators more than 1,000 feet away from schools, parks, malls, and other recreational areas, and I also pushed for grant requests to pay for projects such as street replacement and emergency equipment. I support the best interests of the city of Norwood and the citizens of Norwood.

“What do I want to accomplish while on Norwood City Council?”
First and foremost, I want to ensure that our city services remain intact. I don’t want to see city services stripped down. That would be a disservice to the citizens. Secondly, I want to take a proactive (not reactive) approach to city finances. If we know tough times are around the corner, let’s not wait until that day arrives to say that cuts have to take place; let’s plan ahead. I also want to increase the communication between the residents of Ward 3 and Council. If elected, I plan on holding semi-annual precinct meetings in Ward 3. I want to hear your concerns, your complaints, and your ideas. I don’t plan on sending out a newsletter 6 months before election; I want to have ongoing (and open) communication with my constituents. It isn’t because that is the right thing to do, it is the necessary thing to do. My decisions will not be made for the good of getting re-elected: my decisions will be made for the good of the city.

Once again, I would like to thank CBN for this opportunity. I look forward to meeting many of you while on the campaign trail. I am easily approachable, and always willing to lend a hand or an ear.

You can view more information at www.NorwoodDems.com/geers.html, or browse around to learn more about our “team” of candidates.

Please remember to “Vote Geers for Ward 3” on Tuesday, November 8th.

Joe Geers
Ward 3 Council Candidate