Citizens For A Better Norwood

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Candidate blog series: Jim Stith, City Auditor (R)

Hard Work and Common Sense is not just a slogan for me as Auditor for the City of Norwood. I am accustomed to providing excellent service to others through my many roles in the Southwestern Ohio community, of which I have been a part of for most of my life.

As Auditor for the City of Norwood I was first appointed in January 2008, and was then elected Auditor by Norwood’s residents in November 2009. By applying my values of Hard Work and Common Sense I have modernized the City’s financial systems and technologies, appointed a professional staff with accounting and technology experience and prepared and filed the financial reports for the years 2006 and 2007, which were past due when I took office.

For the first time since 2003, the City of Norwood’s Auditor’s office filed Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) for 2008 and 2009, for which my staff and I received a Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA). GFOA, a nonprofit professional association serving approximately 17,500 government finance professionals, presented the award to me as City Auditor for preparing the award-winning CAFR’s for 2008 and 2009. The 2010 CAFR, which has been given a clean audit by the State Auditor, is currently under review for the same award.

My professional experience doesn’t stop with the Auditor’s office. As a Physician Assistant, I practice Emergency Medicine with Premier Health Care Services, working locally at Mercy Fairfield Hospital’s Emergency Department. I am Board Certified in Surgery and Primary Care and have 17 years of service in Emergency Medicine. I attended the University of Cincinnati, Kettering College of Medical Arts and LaSalle High School in Cincinnati.

I am especially proud to have served my Country and community as an honorably discharged United States Marine, where I served in the infantry. I also served as cub master for Norwood Pack 9 and Assistant Scoutmaster for Norwood Troop 9; I am a Former Faithful Captain of the Knights of Columbus Fourth Degree SIJA, and a current Member of the Norwood Moose Lodge 301. My wife of 22 years, Jennifer, and I have lived in Norwood for 11 years with our 3 children.

Simply stated, I think the problem with the government is not that there are too few taxes; it is that there is too much spending. It is impossible to dig yourself out of the bottom of a hole with more spending; we must continue to demand a responsible budget and begin paying off our debt.

When re-elected, I will continue to work for transparency in government, as well as for a smaller, more effective government which is accountable to the people.

I am not a career politician or a government employee. I am a husband, a father, a hard worker, a community volunteer, and a servant in local public office. I know what it takes to meet a payroll, pay bills, and manage cash flow. My experience in the private sector also serves me well, and provides me with a strong sense of the relationship between government and private citizens.

With your help this November, I will continue to bring these values of Hard Work and Common Sense to the Norwood Auditor’s office.

Jim Stith, City Auditor Candidate