1. How often hospitals follow eight recommended care guidelines for heart attack
2. How often hospitals follow four recommended care guidelines for congestive heart failure
3. How often hospitals follow nine recommended care guidelines for pneumonia
4. Average length of hospital stay for nine conditions, including heart attack, stroke and pneumonia
5. Mortality for the same nine conditions
The ratings are based on care guidelines accepted as best practices by groups such as the Joint Commission and the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program/American Osteopathic Association.