Citizens For A Better Norwood

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Norwood woman caught up in latest pocketbook pinch - car repo

Staggering numbers of homes foreclosures aren’t the only sign of a faltering economy. Now it’s car repossessions, reported to be up by 10% from a year ago, according to today’s Enquirer. Norwood resident Tanya Englert is one of the latest victims. She made payments for 3 ½ years on a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 31/2 years, only to have it repossessed this past December:

"The car had problems, a big repair bill," she said. "Then I had a $400-a-month car payment, $100 a month for insurance, $100 a month for parking. Gas hit $3 a gallon. "It all added up. I was just sick about it."

A court reporter, Englert, 40, is now dealing with the aftermath. Because she still owed more than $10,000 and the car sold at auction for $4,200, Englert is obligated to pay the difference.

"It has affected my credit rating," she said. "I'm a single mother with four children, and I have a good job. I realize now that this could happen to anybody."

Ms. Englert, we're sorry it happened to you.