Councilperson Michael Gabbard alerted us to a unique mustache contest to raise funds for The Shield, Inc., an organization for police officers injured or killed in the line of duty. As you’ll see from the official rules, even women can enter the contest:
1. Must be completely clean-shaven on Feb. 1st, 2009. No preexisting mustache may be used. Women with facial hair may participate.
2. Must be a current/former law enforcement officer or employee of the court. Including dispatchers, clerks, bailiffs, judges, prosecutors, etc.
3. May only grow a mustache. No beard allowed throughout February.
4. Staches may be enhanced with wax, color, make-up, etc.
5. Must pay an entry fee of $25. 100% of the fee is donated to The Shield.
How to Enter:
Email your name and jurisdiction by Feb. 15th to Betsy Sundermann. Email/call with any questions. firstname.lastname@example.org or call 513.307.7676.
Mustache contestants will face a panel of judges to win an array of awards including “The Tom Selleck,” “The Awkward Teenager,” “The Pencil Thin,” “The Fu Manchu,” “The Farva,” and The Grand Prize Trophy.
The contest will be held Sunday, March 1st, at BlackFinn, 19 E 7th St. in downtown Cincinnati. Contestants must pay a $25 entry fee and check in by 9 p.m. Judging starts at 11:00 p.m. There’s a $10 cover charge for supporters. If you can’t attend but would like to make a donation, make your check out to “The Shield” and send it to The Shield, Inc., 7149 Ridge Road, Cincinnati, OH 45237.