Citizens For A Better Norwood

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Guest Blog: Allison parent Jen Seurkamp

How great it is to have a voice and be heard!

Fellow Norwood residents, we live in a city that has a BOE who is willing to have open minds and hear what parents, school staff, students, and other residents have to say. I was so encouraged to learn today via email from Superintendent Collier that the board intends to renew Mr. Count’s contract in March. This has been a great experience for many Allison parents and myself; we've been able to speak our voice, truly be heard, and see action from what we have said. It is empowering as a citizen and gives me hope in the “system.”

Allison Elementary is a school that is full of families that want what is best for our children and work very hard to make sure that they get it. We have seen Allison change for the better in the last four years. It has become a place that welcomes diversity, creativity, parent involvement, and wants every child to succeed. I can’t think of a better place to have my children educated and look forward to all four of my children receiving their grade school education at Allison. Thank you to everyone who supported this and used your voice to make a difference.

I am not naïve enough to think that everyone is happy with this, and I encourage open, honest discussion with Mr. Counts and maybe other parents about how your experience at Allison can be better. I know from experience it works.

Thank you, Board of Education, for listening and responding.

Jen Seurkamp