Citizens For A Better Norwood

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Duke employee praises Norwood police & fire personnel

Several days ago, Mayor Williams sent us the following letter from Duke Energy's Mike Maschmeyer with this note attached, “This is an example of the many fine things that our City employees do. I think it would be nice if it was shared with your readers.” We couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed by Mr. Maschmeyer.


January 11, 2011


Dear Mr. Mayor Thomas F. Williams and Safety-Service Director Joseph C. Geers:

My name is Mike Maschmeyer with Duke Energy, and I’m contacting you to recognize your police and fire departments for their service on Sunday evening January 9th, 2011. Marvin Blade with Duke Energy was kind enough to give me your names so I could write you this letter.

Last Sunday evening around 9:00 p.m., we had a gas leak at 3813 Montgomery Rd. in front of the VW dealership. When I arrived on the job, I noticed that your police and fire departments were set up on Montgomery Rd. to divert oncoming traffic in both directions in the area where my crews were working. As soon as I walked to the job site, a fireman approached me to fill me in on what they were doing to assist. I wish I would have asked his name when I first met him, but I did not. I do recall he told me that years ago he was trained on natural gas by Bob Bowman, who used to be a trainer for Duke Energy. This gentleman was well versed on the dangers of natural gas and gave us access to the VW dealership so we could examine inside for gas readings.

By blocking off this section of Montgomery Rd., it made our job of repairing the leak much safer and efficient. Your police officers and firemen were very cordial and willing to help in any way. When my crew members were running low on breathable air, this lead fireman told me that they could fill our tanks at the fire house just down the street. This not only helped speed up the job but also kept me from driving many miles to our other districts to round up more tanks. At one point, we had a dead battery on a piece of equipment, and when I asked an officer if she had jumper cables, she offered to call a security person from Xavier University who showed up within 10 minutes to give us a jump.

I have been an employee with Duke Energy for 34 years, and I have to say that I was so impressed with the professionalism and the service that this group of people gave to us. I seldom experience anything like this on the job. They did everything right and made our job much safer. I am asking you, if you wouldn’t mind, to thank them for me and my crews. We were able to concentrate on the task at hand while they took care of the surrounding traffic and safety issues. They are a first class group of people which reflects also on their leadership. Thank you all.

Sincerely,

Mike Maschmeyer
Project Supervisor
Duke Energy