Candidate blog series: At-large candidate Andrew Clark (R)
Here are some facts about me you may want to know:
- I am a life long resident of Norwood and attended North Norwood for preschool, Sharpsburg for kindergarten through 5th grade, the middle school for 6th through 8th grade and the high school for 9th through 12th grade.
- I just recently (May 2009) graduated from Miami University (Oxford, OH) with a B.A. in Political Science with a focus in English Literature and Creative Writing.
- In February of 2009, my mom, Vicki (life long resident and NHS graduate c/o 1977), and I started the Norwood Star Newspaper after the loss of the Norwood Times. I was writing for the Times when it shut down and knew Norwood needed a newspaper to keep the positive news flowing.
- I am a member of the Norwood Community Chorus and have been since it started in January of 2008. I truly love being a member of this choir. Judy White is a great instructor and I would love to see more of you join the chorus. It is more fun than work!
- I attend Trinity Pentecostal Church on Norwood Avenue and have been a life long member. At times I have been the Youth Leader, Drama Director, Choir Member, and responsible for the Media Relations in the Youth Department.
- I currently work at the Cincinnati Area Board of REALTORS in the Education Department. I hope to bring the tools I have learned about real estate to Norwood and help us attract more businesses to fill our vacant developments and new families to fill our vacant residences. If elected I will also work with the board to set up a showcase of our schools and community for local realtors so they can see the available housing and commercial properties available and better communicate our city to potential buyers.
- Improve Norwood’s Reputation
- My experience with the Norwood Star and as a Communication Director at Trinity Pentecostal Church has shown me the importance of positive press. I will work with the media to ensure that we receive more coverage on the good things rather than just the bad. I am willing to take on anyone who thinks Norwood is an awful community-even Tracy Jones!
- Improve and Maintain Norwood’s Infrastructure
- I will work to improve our roadways, parks, and public facilities to ensure that Norwood has better roadways and great facilities for us to use.
- Ensure that Public Safety is a Top Priority
- I will work to make Norwood the safest place it can be. I will work closely with the Norwood Police Department and the Norwood Citizens on Patrol to find ways to build upon the great work they are already doing and find new ways of making Norwood safe.
- Help the School Board to Improve our Schools
- As a NHS graduate, I was given a great education, which landed me in a top public university. I want to ensure that every child in Norwood has the same opportunity and better. I want to see our kids excel in the classroom and on the field. I want them exceeding expectations, not just meeting them.