Citizens For A Better Norwood

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Everybody's invited to Jesse Layne's retirement party!!

Superman calls it quits…

Most everybody’s got a Jesse story, right? Well, here’s mine. One day about 5 years ago, I finally tired of 3 orange traffic cones some X.U. students decided to use as decoration on their front porch overhang around the corner from me. Having never called a city department before, I phoned my then councilperson Keith Moore who said he would notify the Health Department. I’m thinking, “I never would have guessed this was a Health Department issue.“ About 10 minutes later (maybe less) this Jesse Layne person called with a funny story about retrieving the cones. When Mr. Faster-Than-a-Speeding-Bullet knocked on their door, the students said they didn’t know how city-owned cones wound up on top of their porch. (Sure, sure, that‘s happened to everybody at least once.) But when Jesse told them the consequences of stealing city property, the cones were quickly handed over, and no arrests were made. Then, about 30 minutes later (or less) my doorbell rings, and there’s Keith Moore following up with me on the cones! Now I’m thinking, “If this is how fast 3 traffic cones are dealt with, what happens when there’s a real problem?” Anyway, that’s the day I found out from Keith not to call Jesse unless you‘re ready for serious action right that minute.

Here’s when and where we can bid Jesse our fond farewell:

When: Friday, February 23rd
Time: 5:00 p.m to ll:00 p.m. and beyond
Where: Norwood Community Center, 1810 Courtland Avenue
R.S.V.P. to the Norwood Health Dept. at 458-4600 by Tuesday, 2/20, to assure enough food and liquid refreshments.