New police contract saves $1 million over 3 years
1. Police will pay higher deductibles with their health insurance plan, a first, which should keep the city’s costs at the current level.
2. At least two high-paying positions, lieutenant and sergeant, have been eliminated without shorting the number of police needed on the street.
3. Minimum man/woman staffing has been reduced from 7 to 6.
4. Longevity pay and the clothing allowance increased.
5. Personnel can miss 4 days of work and still be paid 100% of unused sick leave.
Numbers crunched, the Mayor said the contract is worth $1 million in savings for the City. That’s one contract down, and two to go this year. Council went into executive session to discuss the status of the public works and AFSCME negotiations.